Traveling to WDW from the UK Day 1

Janine Mickey

Nine is one of our Mouze Kateerz writers that lives in the United Kingdom. This will be a multi part series that chronicles her adventure over the pond to see the Happiest Place on Earth.


These are the memoirs from our last trip to WDW , September 2012. It was our first trip with our then 2 year old daughter. This will be a warts and all style diary, with all the good points and the not so good of taking a pre-schooler.

Cast – me (Nine), 32, ex-cop, full time mummy and Disney-aholic. 5th time to Walt Disney World. Love Magic Kingdom and Tower of Terror.

DH (Disney Husband ~ Steve), 33, lawyer, loves Tampa Bay Rays, Animal Kingdom and Tower of Terror. 7th trip

DD (Disney Daughter ~ Felicity or Tink), 2 yrs 9mths, 1st trip to Walt Disney World, been once to Disneyland Paris. Loves It’s a Small World.

Day One – Travel Day 09/22/2012

We headed up to Surrey to stay with the inlaws the night before so that they could take us to Gatwick (the airport) in the morning. Tink knew we were off on our hols and as always when you want a decent nights sleep, we all slept really badly, a mixture of excitement and nerves.

We woke up around 530 and after a quick shower and a coffee we were off to Gatwick and arrived around 730.

We found Departures and the Thomson Airline desk pretty quickly, glad to have Tink in her buggy. We felt fairly smug lining up at the Premium Class desk (our treat to ourselves to make the first flight with DD a bit easier). I saw a friend I’d met on a UK Disney Forum straight away at the desk with her family and soon we were hugging like old friends. After months of chatting on the computer and texting it was so nice to finally meet.

The bags were all around 10kg and the car seat didnt get weighed at all, hurrah! We dropped it off at the oversize luggage desk then it was off to security. This was pain free so off we went in search of breakfast. Starbucks was located and pretty soon we were scoffing a BLT and cinnamon latte and a pain au raisin and hot tea. Madam refused to eat so we let her play in the kids area for a bit to try and burn off some energy. We got some magazines and sweets and very soon it was time to board. We were the last on in Premium due to farting about with the buggy but we were still seated in our pre-booked seats (middle aisle, second row) and sipping OJ while the rest of the plane was still boarding. Pretty soon after take off we had little pretzels and hot tea/coke/hot chocolate. Tink watched the iPad and I had brought various little presents including sticker books, colouring things, sweeties etc and these helped to entertain her. Meals were produced but she didn’t touch her sausage, beans and smiley potatoes. Her tummy wasn’t 100% so that combined with lack of sleep and excitement left her with little appetite. I figured today was not the day to worry if she ate nothing but crisps and sweets!

DH had chicken and I had veg curry, both of which were passable for airline food. We sure made use of the free drinks too, there was a good choice of soft and hot.

DD defied all logic by refusing to sleep despite being up really early and always having a daytime nap at home. She made friends with the little girl in front and I got to chat to my friend which was cool. Taking a 2 year old to the toilet on the plane was … interesting.

Ice creams appeared and later small sandwiches and scones, Tink yet again refused to eat a thing. Luckily no one seemed to notice or were used to her couple of outbursts, one couple even said how well behaved she had been!

We landed at Sanford on time. We managed to get through immigration, baggage and car hire pretty quickly, thank God for the buggy. We picked out a nice Dodge Caravan and off we went!

As luck would have it Tink fell asleep almost right away, phew. We had a decent drive to Lake Buena Vista although it rained a lot. Found our way to the hotel, the Clarion Inn. The grounds were pretty and check in was harmless. Found our room, dumped the cases and headed straight to DTD as we all had a second wind.Downtown Disney entrance sign, Mickey Mouse Disney, Mickey Mouse Disney sign, Disney, Mickey Mouse

Within 5 mins of leaving the hotel we passed the first Walt Disney World signs (cue tears) and we were quickly parked and ready to get my Caprese sandwich! We’d forgotten it was Saturday night and it was very busy. We headed straight to Earl of Sandwich, enjoying seeing Tink’s face as she took in all the sights and sounds. DH and DD found a table while I headed in to get our order, not too bad, from start to finish took me 16 minutes and it was heaving, the line was out of the door. I had my beloved Caprese, DH had a BLT and Tink had a grilled cheese, washed down with Cherry Coke and milk. I love how milk is an option in the US, DD drinks loads of it especially in the evening so it was perfect. We people watched for a bit then headed into World of Disney for DD to chose her first present. She was over awed by the sheer size and choice in here but ended up with a Minnie dressed for Halloween, which she loved as she had brought her Halloween Mickey from home. We had a lot of comments about these over the next 2 weeks. We then headed back to the hotel as it was now 9pm US time, 2am to us! DD and I went straight to bed while DH popped to the hotel store to get some milk and juice for the morning.

Went off to sleep happy to be back in our favourite place and looking forward to Disney Hollywood Studios in the morning.

Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. Ahaa, its pleasant dialogue about this post at this place at this web
    site, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place.


  1. […] Traveling to WDW from the UK Day 1 […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: